Business Tax Recovery Logo

Student Loan Services Norman OK

This page provides useful content and local businesses that can help with your search for Student Loan Services. You will find helpful, informative articles about Student Loan Services, including "Student Loan Interest Deduction - Article by Business Tax Recovery". You will also find local businesses that provide the products or services that you are looking for. Please scroll down to find the local resources in Norman, OK that will answer all of your questions about Student Loan Services.

Branch Connel-Hurtt & Hurtt PC
(405) 634-7600
1525 SW 89th St.
Oklahoma City, OK
Margaret Travis
(405) 231-1013
500 Colcord Dr.
Oklahoma City, OK
Bailey & Downing Attorneys At Law
(405) 528-5300
1020 NW 21st St
Oklahoma City, OK
Homsey Cooper Hill & Associates
(405) 843-9923
4816 N Classen Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK
Perry W Newman
(918) 272-8860
8555 N 117th E Ave
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City Credit Card Debt Consolidation
(405) 445-5711
305 NW 5th St
Oklahoma City, OK
Consumer Legal Counseling Center PC
(405) 272-1500
1725 Linwood Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK
United First Financial Independent Agent
(918) 561-6838
5797 S. 80th East Ave
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City Credit Card Debt Consolidation
(405) 445-5711
305 NW 5th St
Oklahoma City, OK
NEOK Bankruptcy Center
(918) 447-2729
Tulsa, OK

Student Loan Interest Deduction - Article by Business Tax Recovery

Time Limits No Longer Apply To Student Loan Deductions

A dramatic change to the Student Loan Interest Deduction has been implemented for the 2002 tax year. Previously, a taxpayer was only allowed to deduct interest paid during the first 60 months of the repayment of the loan. Starting in 2002, this is no longer the case. You can now take the deduction for every year that you make payments on the loan. If it takes you 10 years to pay off the loan, you can take a deduction each year.

The Student Loan Interest Deduction ["SLID"] is a tax deduction that is allowed under the Internal Revenue Code for interest paid on qualified education loans. The maximum deduction each taxpayer can take on their 2002 taxes is $2,500. The deduction is taken against your gross income and will lower your adjusted gross income by up to $2,500 depending on the amount of interest you paid in 2002. This is a significant tax savings for individuals with student loans!

Unfortunately, there are fairly strict caps on the SLID based on adjusted gross income. Specifically, you can claim the deduction if your adjusted gross income is $65,000 or less if you are filing as a "single" person. The cap on the restrictions is raised to $130,000 if you are filing jointly.

If you fall within the income restrictions, the loan in question must also have been taken out solely to pay qualified education expenses and cannot be from a related person or qualified employer plan. Qualified education expenses include:

1. Tuition and fees.
2. Room and board.
3. Books, supplies and equipment.
4. Other necessary expenses such as transportation.

As long as the loan in question was used to pay the costs of attending an educational institution at which you were enrolled at least half time, you are eligible to claim the deduction. The institution that you attended must be a college, university, vocational school or secondary education institution that qualifies for such loans. The loan need not be federally gua...

Click here to read the rest of this article from